See the latest news from the innovation community.
|Featured Case Studies|
Review a selection of Case Studies submitted to the portal.
|Atrial Fibrillation is the most common heart rhythm disturbance in the UK and Ireland: it affects around 2 million people each year and is responsible for one third of all strokes. AF and AF-related illness costs the NHS over £2.2 billion each year - and rising.|
Reduction of strokes caused by Atrial Fibrillation (AF) is a key shared priority for all AHSNs, with the Innovation Agency, Oxford, Imperial College Health Partners, UCL Partners and North East & North Cumbria AHSNs championing this area.
• AliveCor is a simple and highly effective handheld ECG.
• This programme is an example of cross-AHSN collaboration: scaling is supported by five AHSNs and AliveCor EU General Manager, Francis White, a NHS National Innovation Accelerator fellow.
• The device supports effective AF diagnosis in primary care; speeds up diagnosis & reduces outpatient appointments
• It is inexpensive for patients to buy (£100), supporting self-management.
• Community pharmacists will be delivering a pan-London AF screening programme, supported by the AHSNs, during 2016
• The AHSNs will use their networks to support NHS Innovation Accelerator Fellow Francis White to raise awareness of this innovation
• An evaluation is being undertaken to establish the economic potential of the innovation, by avoiding unnecessary admissions or cost avoidance to secondary care / A&E
Contact Name Martin Leaver, Oxford AHSN Email address email@example.com