Innovation and Technology Payment
Call for Applications
Launched at the national confederation conference by Simon Stevens on 15th June 2017 and as part of NHS England’s commitment to the Five Year Forward View, NHS England has developed the Innovation and Technology Payment (ITP) 2018/19. The aim of the ITP is to help deliver on the commitment detailed within the Five Year Forward View - creating the conditions and cultural change necessary for proven innovations to be adopted faster and more systematically through the NHS, and to deliver examples into practice for demonstrable patient and population benefit. The application process is now open.
Successful innovation or technology themes will be identified through a competitive process and NHS England will then identify ways of supporting adoption of these across the NHS, for example through introducing a reimbursement for usage or centrally procuring items.
- The Innovation and Technology Payment (ITP) builds on the Innovation and Technology Tariff (ITT) and aims to support the NHS in adopting innovation by removing financial or procurement barriers to uptake of innovative products or technologies.
- It is a competitive process to identify innovations and technologies that will offer the greatest quality and efficiency benefits with wider adoption.
- The ITP is looking to support medical devices, digital platforms and technologies. The programme is not suitable for pharmaceutical products or research projects.
- We aim to select a range of cost effective innovations within our budgetary confines in order to have a wide-reaching impact on patient care, and maximise learning from the programme while fostering culture change.
- The ITP programme forms part of a wider set of activities to support innovation in the NHS, led by NHS England with the AHSNs.
- The ITP is specifically focussed on low cost innovations which can deliver significant patient outcomes and savings to the NHS.
- The programme will be delivered in partnership with the Academic Health Science Networks (AHSNs), sponsors, national and international experts.
- Applicants can be from healthcare, academia, commercial or voluntary sectors.
- The implementation of any agreed payment mechanism or procurement will be operational from April 2018.
- Day-to-day support and reporting will be via NHS England’s Innovation and Research Unit.
Registration of Interest
A suite of WebEx events were held over June and July, if you missed the sessions you can watch a recording of the last one here ITP WebEx July 2017
The application process is now open and will close at noon on 8th September 2017. We urge you to read the ‘call for applications and guidance’ document available on this portal in support of your application.
Note: There are two further live programmes open for applications on the portal, Clinical Entrepreneur and NIA. Neither of these programmes is linked to the ITP therefore please ensure you are applying for ITP.
Additional information and frequently asked questions (FAQs) will be posted on this page to keep you up to date on activity as the ITP progresses. Please direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: This information can be made available in alternative formats, such as easy read or large print, and may be available in alternative languages, upon request. Please contact 0300 311 22 33 or email email@example.com stating that this document is owned by Innovation and Research Unit, Strategy and Innovation.