Welcome to the Clinical Entrepreneur Programme
Update 29th February 2016 – All invitations for Interview have now been sent out and we look forward to meeting everyone. To secure your interview slot, please ensure that you confirm your attendance as soon as you can. We want you to get the best out of your elevator pitch; have a look at the top tips posted on this site last week. As additional preparation for your interview we would also like you to think about your unique selling points and what you could bring to the Clinical Entrepreneur Training scheme. You will have an opportunity to share this with us on the day. Please refer to Top Tips
Are you a trainee doctor with a great idea for a commercial, social or charitable enterprise? Are you passionate about continuing in clinical practice but dream of pursuing your entrepreneurial vision that will impact patients and change healthcare? This programme has been designed for you. All doctors in training who are developing clinical innovations or enterprises can bid to become pioneers in this prestigious fellowship scheme.
Applications opened on the 11th November 2015 and closed on the 5th December 2015. Developed and managed jointly by NHS England and Health Education England, Clinical Entrepreneur specialty fellowship training, designed to keep pace with modern medicine will enable doctors to:
- Take time out for entrepreneurial activity such as less than full time training, annualised job planning and arrange sabbaticals from clinical duties for three, six or twelve months
- Access a mentoring and coaching scheme delivered through an acclaimed international faculty including commercial, financial, clinical, academic, managerial, charitable and public sector leaders and achievers
- Undertake entrepreneurial placements and internships with industry, charities, social enterprises and public sector organisations with both partner-funded and self-funding options
- Establish relationships with providers and customers to deliver pre-commercial procurement opportunities
As members of the first cohort, the Clinical Entrepreneur fellows will be a key part of the development of a new, supportive culture and drive for clinical innovation throughout the NHS. In addition to the fellowship scheme, entrepreneur training will be available to all as part of the core curriculum. Within this you will have access to:
- expert webinars
- video and e-learning opportunities that will build into recognised, accredited modules that can be used towards PGCert, PGDip, Masters and undergraduate-intercollated qualifications for interested students
- Crash courses in accounting, value creation and valuation; research; board meetings and running teams; early death (of a project or idea); compliance and regulation; how to attract and work with investors; intellectual property rights; sales and marketing and development cycles along with competing for funding rounds and how to build a “start-up”
- Networking events at regional and national level
These programmes will set fellows on the path to becoming the national and international clinical leaders of the future, as the UK cements its place at the leading edge of global healthcare entrepreneurship and ensures a future “brain gain” to the NHS.
Trainee doctors will form the first wave of fellows, but in future year’s trainees across all clinical disciplines including dental, nursing, midwifery, allied health practitioners, clinical scientists and pharmacists will join the programme. Furthermore we are exploring how patient and citizen entrepreneurs be included/benefit from the programme.
In some specialties opportunities will exist for post CCT fellowship posts, so even if you have completed formal training and you have a great entrepreneurial idea, you should consider applying.
To apply for the clinical entrepreneur fellowship programme click on the link below.
Your fellowship application must include a summary CV, statement of clinical and entrepreneurial aspiration, two references focussing on your entrepreneurial activity, and a one-minute video showing your “elevator pitch” for your developing clinical innovation.
Teleconference notification:- To assist you we are holding a further teleconference with Professor Tony Young, which is for a closed group, devised to answer any additional questions you may have about the programme. The telecom will be held on Monday 30th November starting at 18:30 and closing at 19:30. It is designed for Tony Young to share more about the programme and for your questions to receive an immediate response.
If you are interested and haven’t currently applied for the programme then please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the telecom details stating your name, GMC number and query. If you have already started your application, please just email your question for Tony to the above email address by 3pm Friday 27th November.
Watch Professor Tony Young Speaking at Exponential Medicine in San Diego 10/11/2015. Copyright Singularity University 2015